Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Elusive Sunbird

Since I started birding, I have always had a special fondness to Sunbirds. Any sunbird actually but a real favorite is the Olive-backed Sunbird. These are small and very brightly colored birds. I have always wanted to be able to photograph one, but have failed to even see one in the flesh.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't just wait for it, I really went out to find some. I studied the behavior, what kind of flowers it likes, how it feeds and the time of day. Then I often found myself staking out a row of red and single-petal hibiscus flowers only to go home empty handed. It was frustrating at some point that the OBS (Olive-backed Sunbird) has climbed up to number one on my hitlist.

Then.. at the last month of this year (2009) my birding buddy Gabs Buluran alerted me to a small, very quaint and I must say, beautiful restaurant inside UP Diliman. He said there was a family of sunbirds who are residents there and feed around the restaurant's garden.

So off I went! And these are my favorite shots that i was able to take:

another one:
This is an immature male OBS based on the plumage. This one has only a purple stripe from the throat to the chest area. The adult male has this color completely covering the throat and chest. next mission: to take a photo of a mature male and female.

And of course I shared the joy by posting these in the Philippine Bird Photography Forums and Nikon Club Philippines Forums. Then I got a message from a member of the Philippine Bird Photography Forums. Her name is Lydia Robledo, a naturalist and environmentalist from Pasig who just happens to have some special flowers in her garden that is very attractive to sunbirds. Actually she has a pair of residents in her backyard.

So again.. off I went!!!!

Spent half a day in her garden taking photos of her Sunbirds and here, a mature male, and a mature female.

The mature male:
and the mature female:Ahhh.. all the while I thought the year would pass with me not having a single sighting of a sunbird. But with the help or friends.. I was able to fulfill what I set out to do.

The joys of avian photography are endless. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment