Friday, January 22, 2010

Candaba, January 2010

First real birding sortie of the year and it was great! Not only was I able to capture some birds for the first time, I was also able to meet with a lot of other bird photographers that I admire.

We started off relatively late this time. We were there before 7am. This is okay since during the winter solstice, the sun doesn't really shine until "late" morning.

First bird I got was a roadside Striated Grassbird

Not really a new bird as I already have a lot of pictures of this but this one is unique for me as this is a full frame capture :)

Striated Grassbird by you.

Then off to the wetlands we forged on!!! On the hunt for the Philippine Duck (Anas Luzonica). As I have been birding for only a year, I still don't have a nice picture of this species. I was really hoping to get a good one.

The ducks weren't flying and pretty far when we got there. But I was able to spot and photograph a first timer for me.. a Purple Swamphen

Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) by you.

it's not everyday that I see a purple bird :)

Then the Common Moorhen showed itself to me and I took some quick snaps of it swimming along the banks at the other side

Common Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus) by you.

Then.. the ducks started flying and I was snapping away in delight!!!

Philippine Duck (Anas luzonica) by you.
they are sooo lovely. Looking like they are smiling
Philippine Duck (Anas luzonica) by you.

Then my D90 gave me a few shots that are considered more difficult than these. Birds flying with a busy background..
Philippine Duck (Anas luzonica) by you.

There were also some first time ducks like these Garganeys

Garganeys? by you.

and Northern Pintails

Pintails by you.

There were also several Green-winged Teals

Green Winged Teals (Anas crecca) by you.

Then I moved forward for lunch and was blessed with these captures of a female Pied bushchat

Pied Bushchat (female) (Saxicola caprata) by you.

and a nest of baby Zebra Doves
Zebra Dove Babies by you.

then the day was topped off by a lifer.. a picture of a flying White-breasted Waterhen
White-breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus) by you.
I was shooting so many birds in flight that I finally had the courage to take a picture of one of the faster birds.. the Swallow..
Hirundo Tahitica in flight by you.

No comments:

Post a Comment