Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Urban Swamphen

Just recently, I discovered that in a nearby swamp here where I live, there lives a Purple Samphen.

The swamp is actually a Black-crowned night Heron colony, with dozens upon dozens of Night Herons nesting there. I love taking pics of the herons there as they are all so clean and neat! Signs that they are living there, thriving, and healthy.

Aside from the BCNHs, other species I see there are:
Black-Crowned night Heron
Barred Rail
Yellow bittern
White-breasted Waterhen
Common Moorhen
Common Kingfisher.
Purple Swamphen

The Purple Swamphen is a great treat for me as the only other place I know where I can see it is in Candaba, Pampanga.
Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) by you.

Purple Swamphen (Porphyrio porphyrio) by you.

I have seen two of them at the same time, and suspect that there is a third because I have seen one that is smaller than these two.

I am so happy to report this sighting! As you can see by the photo, they are both quite healthy!

Here are some photos of the Night Herons..
bcnhifffpart2 by you.

Black-crowned night heron in flight full-frame by you.

The Waterhen
waterhen!!!! by you.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment