Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Reviewing the D300s for Bird Photography

Just recently, CDSC, the local distributor allowed me to road test the new Nikon D300s. I know, I know it is a bit (about 6months) late as it has been in the market since late 2009. The reason for the review is for Wildlife, particularly Bird Photography.

Having used both the D300 and the D90 in avian photography, I was understandably excited to try out the D300s as for me, it is the combination of these two very successful bodies into one.

The parts that I would like to test are:

1. Frame Rate
2. Battery Life
3. Build
4. Image Quality at high ISO
5. Autofocus mechanism

Why?

1. Frame rate - for BIFs (Birds In Flight), fast frame rate is nice to have. When the wing beats up and down at a rate of 4 full beats per second, shooting at 4 frames per second means you will capture the wing in one position. It would be nice to capture the wing from upstroke to downstroke.

2. Battery life - this MUST be long. being in the field for a whole day and shooting sometimes in excess of a thousand pictures is normal. And you will need a good battery for that.

3. Build - the body needs to be rigid. Enough to handle a birdnut :)

4. Hig ISO IQ - needs to be clean. Most birds stay in the shade and flash is only for last resort. yes you can slow down the shutter speed, if you can tell a warbler to sit still for half a second. Avian photography needs clean high ISO shots to still enable fast shutter speed shooting.

5. AF - autofocus needs to be sticky.. specially for birds in flight. Shooting at a fast frame rate is only half the story. If your camera can't acquire the target, you won't be shooting any frames. And if you shoot off focus, at 8frames per second, it just took you one second to waste 8frames.

My test is still ongoing and this blog is only to open up the topic. I will be adding more and pictures as the week goes on.

Bit there is one thing that I would like to make sure, that I will do different from other reviews. Most reviews would compare the D300s to another camera, say, the D90 and/or the D300. But I won't. I will give it as straight as it can be, as a camera review, not a comparison.

So hold on and give me a few days to process the images I took :)

4 comments:

  1. Just don't forget to add this lens, Nikon 600mm f/4G ED VR AF-S, if you're planning to buy the D300S. My advance congratulations on the new combo. Dream big buddy! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wooohaa!! you dream big indeed!

    Nikon 600mm f4 VR - $10,300.00
    D300s - $1,350.00

    Go for it!!

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if you don't mind get the Nikon 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED AF-S VR for back-up and close shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YIKES!!!! What are you guys doing here!?! hahaha! Peer pressure?

    Sad to say, those two lenses were not available at the time of my review. I have already sent the demo unit back to CDSC. Was not able to play around with the in-camera calibration :(

    My final verdict will come in a few days as my work is still getting in the way of my hobby. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete