Saturday, March 6, 2010

Battery Life on the D300s

Let's now move to battery life and why I hold this so important. For other photographers, they can shoot while the second battery is charging and swap whenever they want. This is a luxury that I don't have when photographing birds in the wild. One needs to carry a spare battery, and both of them needs to be dependable.

The brochure on the D300s says that the battery shoots up to 950 images. That scared me. That's only half a day of birding for me :) So I intentionally full-charged the demo unit I had and carried the batteries of my D90 as backup.

Lo and behold, I went up to close to 1,900 photos with one bar/stripe still left in the power meter. I am not saying the brochure lies, there are factors that affects battery life.

Of course the battery I was using is brand new and SHOULD perform well. Also, have I mentioned that I shoot in bursts? 1,900 shots is one day, one whole day of bird photography. So you can view this as either one of the two..

The battery lasted for only a day
or
The battery shot close to 1,900 images :)

No comments:

Post a Comment